Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Suggestions Needed for UVSC Forum on Children's Literature

I've been asked to serve on the Advisory board for the UVSC Forum on Children's Literature, March 20-21, 2008. One of my responsibilities is to out together a track for librarians who attend the conference. I've already asked JaDene to speak about using the Big 6 as a problem solving strategy and not just for research. Here's where I need your help:

1. If you have previously attended this conference, what captured your interest to encourage you to attend?

2. What sessions did you find especially helpful or worth attending?

3. If you have not previously attended, would you mind sharing why not?

4. If you were to attend this year, what kinds of breakout sessions would you most like to see?

5. Can you recommend any great teachers or librarians who might be approached to give workshop sessions?

6. Are YOU interested in being a presenter? If so, what topic would you like to be considered for?

I've seen part of the author and illustrator tracks already and it looks like a great year for the conference. Hope to hear from you soon, and of course, to see you there!

3 comments:

Mrs. Wagstaff said...

Lu Ann

Sorry it's taken awhile to respond. I was told today by our district media person that many local districts are really cutting off money to attend conferences (at least according to her Provo and Alpine) I would say that's a factor. If I have to pay for myself I'm going to be very selective. Also getting time off is often a problem.

At a library meeting we heard Carla Morris (I think that's her name) talk about her book "The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians" It was very interesting. I also know that Provo Library is going to do What's New in Children's Lit. every month so one of those librarians could perhaps do a presentation on that.

Thanks
-steph

Lu Ann Brobst Staheli said...

Thanks, Steph. I know what you mean about the funding problem. My school has started monitoring the hours we are gone from the building as though illness and conferences were the same.

Karen R Finley said...

LuAnne,
It sounds like a usful conference. As an elementary librarian I would like ideas for k-6 lesson plans. I teach 600 kids a week, input from experienced teachers like Vaughn would be helpful.
Karen