Saturday, September 29, 2007

Book Challenge

I hope you all appreciate the irony; I had my first "book challenge" on Friday during the sponsored banned book week by ALA. I set up a display with books from our library that are on the ALA top 100 challenged book list. I also discussed it with some of the students.

On Friday a parent brought in the 2008 Guinness Book of World Records with bookmarks of "inappropriate pictures". I didn't speak with them. They just spoke with the secretaries in the front office. I never thought I'd peg myself as a "liberal ALA librarian" but it made me a little mad.

I guess I'll talk with the principal on Monday and see what happens.

-Stephanie

4 comments:

Lu Ann Brobst Staheli said...

Let us know what happens. Also, did you all see that the #1 Most Challenged book for 2007 was And Tango Makes Three, the book we talked about in class.

Anonymous said...

If people want to find something wrong with a book, almost any book will do. Good luck with the challenge. Here's hoping they are just venting, and when they see that they would have to go through a whole, long process to have the book removed they'll give up.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Wagstaff said...

Well the principal told me to razorblade out the worst offending picture (Man who holds the record for undoing the most bras. All you see are back of girls with bra straps undone.) Anyway I'm sure that could be considered a sacrilege but I went ahead with it.

-Stephanie