Thursday, July 5, 2007

Thanks for the memories

To all a big hello! I was riding high after our week in Logan. I look forward to communicating with you and sharing library resources. I am currently putting together a book order. I purposely saved some of my budget so that I could have lots of new books for the beginning of the school year. I am toying with Kathy Dale's idea of an early bird book club, but I am concerned about holding those titles away from general circulation for the term, and about the cost of 5 copies. Any suggestions ? Also, how do you feel about puzzles and word games being available for in library use?
Bea

3 comments:

Mrs. Wagstaff said...

I think puzzles and games are a great addition to the library. I did some practicum hours at Timpanogos High in Orem. The librarian said many of their puzzles and games were donated. (Even better if you don't have to spend your library budget). They also had a laminated cardstock border sticking up around the puzzle table so the pieces couldn't easily slide off.

-Stephanie W.

P.S. Not related to puzzles and games, but have you thought about playaways? They are expensive but a fun new idea. Timp High also had a few of these which were very popular.

Lu Ann Brobst Staheli said...

I did a themed book club this past year at my school. Instead of a single title, students read books of their choice on a topic (Best Book of the Summer; Fantasy & Beyond; A Little Romance; A Cozy Mystery, etc.) It was great fun, even the boys read some romance, and we didn't need multiple copies of anything.

Anonymous said...

Bea, happy ordering! As for puzzles and games, this upcoming year I've decided to put a few board games in my library--Scrabble, etc. Mainly games that are bordering on educational, without being too academic for high school students to enjoy them. I'll probably only have them out during lunch, though. I don't want to tempt kids away from class work the rest of the time.